What we do
The inception of Society for Special Persons was the result of the unbending will and untiring efforts of ZahidaHameed (a person with disability herself) she voiced the concept that persons with disabilities are the best advocates of their condition. Each human is inherently endowed with the right to education, occupation and opportunities to better quality of life. Society for special Persons has been the voice of people with disabilities for over a decade and one that has echoed globally. For years SSP has advocated the rights of people with disabilities. We believe through empowering individuals with disabilities, theinclusive and sustainable communities can be ensured, eventually leading to a better world.
SSP is active organization, and indeed a trail blazer for NGOs working for persons with disabilities’ aims to create an inclusive environment for PWDs in the sectors of economy, sports and education. SSP holds the distinction of being the only representative NGO of PWDs to be registered with the government of Pakistan andis working for the rights of persons with disabilities through various programs and the biggest PWDs campaign Accessible Pakistan.
SOCIETY for Special Persons( SSP) Achievements:
- Outreach of More than 8000 Persons with Disabilities (PWDs) in the region of South Punjab.
- Survey of over 1000 people with disabilities in Multan with the help of Pakistan Bait ul Maal and Social Welfare
- Relief of 2010 flood victims (PWDs) through partnership with Multan Crescent Lions Club.
- National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) considered People with disabilities as vulnerable persons in Multi-Sector Initial Rapid Assessment (MIRA) in 2011, after the advocacy of Society for Special persons.
- Provision of wheelchairs and ration bags to flood victims (2013) in Muzaffar Garh, Langaryaal and Jhang.
- Wheel chairs and financial aid of 50000 to over 2000 PWDs provided by former prime minister Yousuf Raza Gilani with the support of Pakistan Bait-ul-Maal, with SSP as implementing partners.
- Marking October 22 as National Accessibility Day of Pakistan (2011)
- 5000 plus wheel chairs, tricycles, white canes and sewing machines distributed to PWDs for skill development and
- Launching the biggest Accessible Pakistan National Campaign for accessible infrastructure and services for people with disabilities. October 22, 2011.
- Accessible Banking (23 July 2013) in association with State Bank of Pakistan released notification of Infrastructure for Special Persons to ensure accessible infrastructure for social inclusion of PWDs
- Infrastructure of Special Persons released instructions for installation of Ramps, Talking ATMs and counters to attend special persons.
- First time in Pakistan colourful customized wheelchair are introduced for people with disabilities and established Pakistan Customized Wheel Chair Unit, in association with Punjab Welfare for the Disabled Trust on the guidelines of World Health Organization (WHO).
- SSP marked July 17, 2013 as the Global Women with Disabilities Day to empower and represent women with disabilities.
- MOU with Multan chamber of commerce and industries for the Social Inclusion and empowerment of people with
- MOU with Government of Pakistan, Economic Affairs Division.
- SSP lead the initiative of WHO for grass root level women with disabilities empowerment program by launching 12 self help groups and provided leadership training with the help of World Health Organization (WHO) to groups consisting of 300 women with disabilities at in 12 districts in Southern-Punjab.
- Miss Zahida Hameed, President Society for Special Persons won Fatima Jinnah women of the year award in 2016 by Government of Punjab.
- Miss Zahida Hameed was awarded the Young Development Leader Award by ministry of planning development and reforms.
- President SSP, miss Zahida Hameed holds the honor of receiving the International Khadija-tul-Kubra award.
- Miss Zahida Hameed, president SSP has the distinction of being the primary owner of UN Women Pakistan civil society advisory group to lead women with disabilities of Pakistan.
- SSP has been successfully running skill development center for persons with disabilities.